Healthy Snack Suggestions During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a time in a woman’s life where her health is important for more than just herself! Your body is a home for a growing baby and, just like you would look after your own home, it’s important you look after theirs! The nutrients you eat will affect the environment your baby is living in and may affect their health.
Eating healthily during pregnancy isn’t much different from eating healthily when not pregnant, it’s all about balance and nutritious foods. However, there are some foods that will be extra good for you and your baby! There are of course some foods you must avoid, details of these can be found on the NHS website.
1. Baked potatoes! Although you shouldn’t be eating for two, you will most likely find you’re hungrier than normal… Baked potatoes are a good way to fill up but with less calories. The NHS (2021), suggest carbohydrates should take up 1/3 of your dinner plate.
2. Blueberries! They are high in vitamin C, antioxidants, fibre, potassium and folate!
3. Dried fruits and nuts! These are an easy, on-the-go snack but make sure you are only having lightly salted or unsalted mixes.
4. Popcorn! When isn’t popcorn a great snack! I know it’s not easy but avoid pouring butter over it for a healthier snack.
5. Hard boiled eggs! You can cook a load at once and keep them in the fridge, they are filled with protein and vitamin D!
6. Banana ice-cream! Blend a frozen banana and add some nuts, you’ve made a super healthy, nutty ice-cream.
Snacks are great to keep up your energy and add some extra nutrients to your diet when pregnant. Just try to stick to healthier options and don’t go crazy! It’s suggested that you don’t need any extra calories in your first trimester, 350 extra calories in your second trimester and 500 extra in your third.